Tuesday, October 7, 2008

No One in Utah Thinks I'm Funny

I went to a party with a bunch of people I didn’t know this weekend. This is never a good scenario because I forget that no one knows me either, and I randomly spout off and offend people without realizing it.

Case and point:

Some girl keeps telling how horrible her job is and how difficult it is to boss people around all day.

Girl: And I’m all, noooo you cannot have a two hour lunch.
Me: Where do you work again?
Girl: I’m an employee manager at the University of Phoenix.
Me: (Without thinking) Is that REALLY a college?
Girl: (Totally offended) Of course it is!!! It is a formal college. One of the biggest in the nation that allows….blah…blah…blah
Me: (Totally not paying attention and thinking that it is still a BS college)
Girl:… and it is so organized and blah…blah…blah.
Me: Oh, I had no idea.

So today at lunch I start to share this story of putting my foot in my mouth around the teacher’s lunch table. There are about 7 people in the room and I’m trying to get off the topic that is usually the focus of our lunchroom banter. I call this topic: Why My Kid Is Cuter Than Yours. I never share and have almost stopped going in the lunch room because it SUCKS. Sadly, I was so hard up for adult contact at work that I went. Plus, I needed to use the microwave. Anyway, I begin to tell my funny story about the University of Phoenix. In my head, I expected people to join in and agree with me that the University of Phoenix is some online school where you basically pay for your diploma. I get to the end of the story…

Me: …so I ask if it’s even a real college and she goes on this whole rant about it being one of the biggest colleges and I’m just sitting there thinking, Don’t you just pay and get a degree?
PE Coach at lunch table: OF COURSE IT’S A REAL COLLEGE! I got my masters there and it was really hard.
Me: (Thinking here we go again. Of course the coach got his degree there!)
PE Coach: I had to turn in every single assignment. I had classes online…Blah…blah…blah
Me: (Thinking- I HAVE TO GET OUT OF UTAH!)

So yea, I stuck my foot in my mouth twice on the same story. What are the odds? Then again, this is me, so the odds are probably pretty good.

PS- Do any of you agree with me that University of Phoenix is just a made up school that hands out degrees to anyone that pays for them?
PSS- If you did get a degree from University of Phoenix or work there, I don’t want to hear about. You have already learned that I won’t listen to you and will probably just end up making fun of you later in another blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem! Except, I thought a friend of mine was earning her MBA degree from there, so I didn't say anything about it (I mistakenly thought U of P was the only place you could get an online degree.) When she found out I thought her degree was from University of Phoenix she was totally offended! Oops!

I think teachers have certain prejudices about education. It's hard not to believe that certain things are lost without personal instruction.

PS: I think maybe that girl's bigger problem is that she sounds like a teenager when trying to boss people around. That kind of undercuts authority.

Unknown said...

OK that's the equivalent of saying that once you complete “Abercrombie Manager Training” you are in fact a manager and check that box on questionnaires under profession. I mean you are a manager at a retail store but not upper level management within a corporation.

For the next week I think you should tell people that’s where you went to school as an experiment when they ask where you went to college to see what kind of reaction you get. Perfect follow up to this….