Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My Students are SOO Sheltered

I've had several examples of my students naivete, but I'd like to share one from my 3rd period class today. This is an all 9th grade classroom.

Utah Student: Miss, do we have to use pencil on a scantron, can't I just use my pen?
Me: (internally rolling my eyes) You can you use pen, but I'm going to give you the score you get from the scantron machine.
Utah Student: Won't that mean I'll be getting a zero.
Me: Yup.
Utah Student: But all I have is a pen.
Me: Well you better beg, plead and borrow from your fellow students to get your hands on a pencil. (I try to avoid loaning out supplies because I never get them back)
Utah Student: What if no one will give me one?
Me: Stop making a simple situation hard. Just ask kids sitting around you.
Utah Student: I like making things hard.
Me: (waiting for sniggers and laughter to break out....nothing. I snicker and turn away from the student so he doesn't see me laughing)
Utah Student: Did you hear me?
Me: Yup...You said you liked making things hard. (Still no laughter)

I finally just gave him one of my pencils and realized that my sophomoric sense of humor is totally wasted on 15 year olds in this state.

No comments: