
I know you may not have guessed this about me, but I wasn’t much of a joiner in high school and college. In fact, organized dances, school functions, clubs, and other such entities I deemed as total nonsense and avoided them like Brittany Spears does birth control. I didn’t even go to prom my senior year of high school. I know you are all thinking, “Isn’t that just because you were a loser in high school and didn’t get asked?” And the answer to that is yes, but I still like to claim that I was making a stand against the man, whoever that is.
I digress…as always.
Anyway, it all started when my brother, another facebook junkie, saw that a learning disabled girl from our church back home had written “Lauren…is waiting for someone to ask her to homecoming” on her facebook profile. Lauren is a 22 year old that is mentally about 13 and attends BYU. They let her audit her classes but she only really takes dance and some art classes. Her parents just wanted to give her the college experience for a while. Soooo Ghent, my angel of a brother, sent her a message on Facebook asking her to the BYU homecoming dance. Once my sister, Laura, and I learned that he’d invited Lauren to homecoming, we knew we would have to get dates and make it a GROUP activity. My brother is sweet, but he’s not really social or the best dancer. These are both huge understatements. It is like saying that Posh Spice looks thin, when in fact she makes Ethiopians want to give her a dollar-a-day to go buy some food. So Laura, Jody, my other roommate, and I all decide to get dates and tickets to the BYU homecoming dance.
There are some major problems with this scenario. First problem is I don’t go to BYU. I graduated almost 9 years ago. Second problem is that I was going to have to convince someone to go with me, that probably also graduated a decade ago. I know that I’m a fun date, but if I couldn’t talk a guy into going to prom with me when we were both in high school, chances are I can’t talk a 30 year-old in to going to a homecoming at a college we both don’t attend.
Luckily, I found out that Roy was coming in town. I knew that if I was able to sucker him into going to a folk festival in Colorado, then a meager dance would be no problem. It ended up being a lot of fun, and I think the kids just thought we were chaperones for the event. Ghent and Lauren had a blast, and I recently noticed that Lauren has changed her Facebook picture to the cheesy one we took before we left for the dance. Awwwww.
Here is a photo of Ghent putting on the corsage he bought for Lauren.

Here is a photo of all the couples before the dance. I’ve blocked out my face (I like to be mysterious), Roy’s face (just trust me he is hot), and my sister face (because she looks like me). Okay, I’m still a little terrified that my students or possibly people I write about here will find out about this website. I like to do my smack-talking anonymously. I am aware that I’m a coward.
* I contemplated going into detail about being really freaked out at the dance that I would run into former students that would question why I was at their college homecoming with a date, but I decided not to mention it. I also left out the part where I tried to dance to Thriller in line-dance fashion and made a fool of myself.
1 comment:
Ghent is so sweet! I love the photos. I'll pretend like I don't know it's you, since you're being anonymous.
Is that Tobin with Jodie?!
Post a Comment