I usually have a rule that I don’t date guys that are more than 3 years younger than me, but lately I’ve loosened up my standards a little. Utah doesn’t really have much to offer right now and I’ve got boo-koos of free time. A 24 year old asked me out and I just couldn’t say no…though I probably should have. He was rather forward in a totally awkward and dry way and I liked him immediately (Okay, he was just really hot…you got me). About 5 minutes into our date I realized that things would never work out between us.
Young Boy (YB): So do you have any hobbies?
Me: I go to the gym but I wouldn’t call that a hobby. I read books and used to collect koala bears. I once took up crocheting in college. That’s all I got for hobbies.
YB: I like hobbies.
Me: What types of hobbies do you do?
YB: I was really into flying kites for a while. blaa blaa blaa kites…blaa blaa kites…kites.
Me: That sounds neat.
YB: After kites I became interested in model planes. Blaa blaa model planes blaa blaa model planes.
Me: (trying really hard to sound like I care) That sounds neat too.
YB: After model planes I built miniature ships…..blaa blaa ships… ships…ships…boring
Me: So what are you into right now?
YB: (deadpan) Right now, my new hobby is humor.
Me: Humor? Like stand-up?
YB: no more like humor conceptually
YB: You know?
Me: Nope, I’m a little lost. Like conceptual clowns?
YB: No. I’ve become fascinated with what makes people laugh. It is so intriguing the variety of things that people find humorous. Don’t you think?
Me: (visualizing the phrase “game over” flash across his forehead while he’s wearing clown make-up) Yea, that is funny…I mean interesting.

1 comment:
I don't read anything here that I couldn't have overlooked for "really hot." Except for kites. Bleh.
I am glad that you are willing to be flexible for important things like hotness. That's crucial.
Post a Comment