Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Testing...Testing...1 , 2, 3

I lost my voice, but I still had to come to work because I’m hoarding my sick days for a cruise in a month. I want you to picture trying to control 6 classes of 34 teenagers with a mere whisper. I am in hell! Luckily, the new school where I work installed six speakers in my classroom that work with a microphone I can wear around my neck. I’ve never really had to use this feature before because my voice booms and bounces around a normal room. Today, I cranked the volume on it, and I can hear my hoarse, scratchy whisper eco loudly throughout my classroom. One of my little 7th graders said, “Miss Scott, can you please turn that off? The loud whisper is really freaking me out.” It is so true. It sounds like I’m trying to tell really scary ghost stories around a campfire or narrate a horror movie, when I’m actually trying to explain how to use quotation marks.

My kids keep asking me how I lost my voice. Most of the boys assume that I screamed too loudly during the Superbowl. It’s wildly apparent that my students don’t know me at all. I’ve never cared about any Superbowl, in the history of Superbowls. There are only three reasons that I attend pro-football related parties:
1. Food
2. I need to leave my house occasionally during the winter months.
3. Cute boys
I put the list in order of importance.

No comments: