My big new-worthy moment of the week actually took place while grocery shopping. I was on the snack foods aisle trying to decide which of the fruit snacks was the best deal to buy for my fiance. I was in deep thought over
the pros and cons of Gushers vs Fruit by the Foot when a bum/homeless person (I'm just guessing by his appearance and smell) stands next to me holding a box of granola bars.Bum :I wouldn't buy those if I were you
Me: Huh (I look up quizzically wondering if there was some news campaign or propaganda I missed recently explaining how fruit snacks cause cancer/aids/scabies/gonorrhea)
Bum: They're not good for you.
Me: They're not for me. My fiance loves them and has finals this week, so I thought he needed a treat. (I have no idea why I felt the need to tell him my whole life story.)
Bum: Do you love him?
Me: Well...yea (wondering where this conversation is going)
Bum: Well, you obviously don't love him that much if you're buying him crappy food like that.
Then the bum just stormed off.
I had to resist the urge to call down the aisle to him and say something witty like "aren't you homeless" or "I'm pretty sure the fact you smell of booze and pee pee means that you're unhealthy", but I refrained...not because I'm ashamed to holler in a grocery store, but because they weren't particularly great come-backs. Even now I can't really think of any witty retort. Feel free to offer suggestions. I'm still taken aback by the whole encounter of being chastised by a bum for buying fruit snacks.
4 comments:
Sometimes you just have to laugh at the absurdity of a situation and go on with a smile on your face :)
And hopefully you bought fruit by the foot for your fiance', its much healthier :)
haha. virg, what made me laugh even harder was the post about 'dirty bird' and now...look where you are! love it. xoxo
Well, Blake has a fabulous fiance so he is obviously doing something right, love of fruit roll-ups aside!
I have lots of retorts I thought of for the bum, but they all made me feel like a bad person.
"It's "Fruit By The Foot" not "Poop By The Foot""
Post a Comment