Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day at School



Teaching 7th and 9th graders in Utah is probably the equivalent of teaching 5th and 7th graders in Texas. They are so emotionally stunted that they don’t even get half of my jokes.
Today we played the name game. This is a game where you learn all the names of the students by having them find something that rhymes with their names or is alliterative. I may be able to learn their names in a few months, but I will never be able to spell them all. People in Utah feel the need to either make up names or misspell common names to confuse future generations of people.

Examples:
I have many girls by the names of Kaylee, Kaylie, Kaleigh, Kaileigh, and Kayle.

I’ve got Braiden, Brayeden, Braydeen, and Braden.

My favorite names are Precious, Charlin, Mysti, Shanica, Aubrie, Sault, Darger, Meriken, Mcky, Mattiliynn, and Oakley. I have literally dozens of random misspellings of normal names, but I won’t bore you with them. I know what you’re thinking…these are all WHITE, suburban kids with screwed up names. I only have two Hispanic kids out of 170 students and their names are Maria and Michael.

My favorite quote of the day: It’s always best if you can do it without using a lot of strokes.
Some 7th grade kid was trying to explain his summer playing mini-golf to the class. BTW- NO ONE BUT ME LAUGHED AT THAT.

SIDENOTE: “Roy” sent me flowers to school today. How cute is that?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how your friend's alias is "Roy"...I know you chose that because of me!

Okay, the teachers I work with are dying at the names. It always makes me crazy when I have 5 spellings of one name. The many variations of Jasmine was always entertaining/aggravating.

How are your fellow teachers?!

Anonymous said...

She chose "Roy" because of your husband, Betsy. Like most women, she thinks he's dreamy. You are so, so lucky.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am so lucky.

Except...HEY! MY Roy did not send ME flowers today!

But he is pretty dreamy.